The first thing you need to know how to teach a puppy to give you his paw, is that your dog learn to sit. This is one of the most basic lessons! Once your dog dominates the order to sit down, it will serve as the basis for asking for the leg.
To teach your dog, prepare a good handful of treats! If you have reached the lesson of the paw, it means that you already have some experience in dog education, So you already know how important positive reinforcement is and make your dog feel comfortable while learning.
Now you will have to choose the keyword you will use to teach your dog this lesson. Remember, it must be short, concise, clear and different from other words used in different orders. For example, it can be "paw" or "paw".
Method to teach your dog to paw
- Ask your dog what it feels like. Remember to master this order to learn what we want to teach you now.
- Once seated, take your paw while saying the chosen keyword, loud and clear. Just after, give him a treat.
- For now your dog does not know how to do it, you will have to take your paw by saying the key word. Your dog will gradually learn to associate the word with the gesture.
- It will take several repetitions, but before you think you can say only the word, offering your dog the hand, and he himself will raise his paw to give it to you. Of course, waiting for a treat in return.
- With practice, you can withdraw the rewards and your dog will give you the paw without a prize.
Considerations for teaching tricks to a dog
You already know how to teach a puppy to teach the paw, but now we are going to give you some tips that will serve you not only in this learning, but for all aspects of your pet's education:
- Do not overdo the training time. About 10-15 minutes a day is enough, even less if it is a puppy. If it's longer, your dog will get tired and lose interest.
- Always look for moments when the dog is happy, relaxed and receptive to learn.
- Use positive reinforcement and also always verbally congratulate your pet when doing things right. Do not punish their failures.
- Patience is the key, don't lose your nerves. Learning takes time, be understanding with your dog.
- Practice the new lessons every day and less frequently those learned long ago so you don't forget them.
- Learning is progressive: Start with the most basic and gradually you can increase the difficulty of the lessons. Do not go to the next trick if your dog still does not master the order you are teaching.
- When introducing new teachings, do it one by one. Don't mix new things or there will be a mess!
- Be careful not to overfeed your dog. Dog treats are an excellent positive reinforcement, but don't overdo it or you could end up suffering from obesity. Alternate edible prizes with petting or toys and use fractional prizes so as not to prime your dog.
We think it's great that you want to teach your dog new lessons! Dog education improves your physical and mental agility, makes you happy and also improves your behavior and your bond! Keep improving every day.
Tricks to teach a dog
All puppies (and even adult dogs) have the ability to learn. This can be taken for granted. It is true that some dogs learn faster than others, but with perseverance and affection your pet will learn for sure.
The first thing you have to be clear about is that you must have patience. Do not despair if your dog does not learn in the first sessions. If you get frustrated, your pet will notice and be overwhelmed. Learning should be fun for both of you:
- Short training sessions: Find a quiet place where you are silent and avoid all possible distractions. The dog training session should last between 5 and 10 minutes, never be more than 15 minutes. You will only overwhelm your dog. Of course, you can practice two to three times a day compensating games, walking and com>
Prepare a good dose of treats
You already know that there is a wide variety of goodies in the market, but be careful not to overfeed your dog. It is always important to avoid obesity. Always look for treats that you can split into small pieces.
If you like cooking, you also have the option of preparing a dog delicious cookies. Yum, yum!
Choose the right word and gesture
Every order must be linked to a word. Ideally, it should be one. In this case, the most logical would be "leg." Also, be careful and always use the same hand. If you alternate you can confuse your dog. Also, after teaching him to give one leg, you can start with the other.
You can also use other words such as "say hello" or "chócala".
How to teach my dog to kick
- Order your dog to sit down and kicking him At the same time you say the word of the order. Always use a pleasant tone of voice.
- Right after, you give him a treat.
- At first, your pet will look at you with the face of not understanding anything. Surely you know what expression I am referring to. Nothing happens, it's completely normal.
- Repeat the exercise using the same method to remember it.
- Do not overdo the training sessions, they should be short.
- Take a piece of candy and let your dog sniff it.
- Then, with the bauble inside, bring your hand to the side of its snout.
- The most normal is that your puppy try to open your hand with your leg.
- Just when your dog tries, open your hand and let your dog eat the treat.
- Not all dogs will act in the same way although it is preferable to use it to promote the intelligence of the dog and self-learning.
For both methods always remember to congratulate your pet every time you take the action.
Go leaving the treats
As soon as you have repeated the order correctly a few times, remove the treats (or at least try not to base the entire training process on them). Use reinforcement with caresses and flatteryThey are also valid and your dog will love them!
The next step will be to see if your pet obeys the order without having to reinforce the behavior. However, from time to time it is always good that you reinforce learning, for that reason we advise you to dedicate a little time a day (or every few days) to practice tricks already learned.
If you have taught him to give the right leg, you still have the left. In this case, there are people who use longer words. For example, "How are you?" or "Shock those five!" Be creative and have fun with your pet.
If you want to read more articles similar to How to teach my dog to kick, we recommend that you enter our section of Basic Education.
How to teach my dog to kick?
All dogs can learn. With some dogs it can take more than others, but dedicating time and love your dog will surely learn.
The first point you should know is that you must be patient with your dog. If your dog does not learn in the first sessions, which is normal, do not get nervous or get frustrated, since this the dog will notice and feel bad. Dog training should be a fun time for both of you.
Another highlight is that training sessions should be short in a quiet place, without noise to avoid possible distractions.
The training sessions should last between 10 and 15 minutes, they should not last longer since that way you will tire your dog. You can perform two or three sessions a day with time intervals.
Starting with the exercise
To carry out the exercise, we will need a lot of goodies and follow the steps mentioned below.
- Call your dog, when you are calm, bend down and ask him to give you his leg, once he gives you his leg you give him a treat as a prize. This exercise will be repeated several times.
- You will show him a treat at the height of his nose so he can see it and extend his hand to give it to him, ask him to give you the paw and when the dog's paw is in the air you give him the treat. If you try to eat the treat without giving it your leg, close your fist so you can't eat it. If he paws on top of your fist, then you can give him his prize.
- Repeat these last steps at least 20 times, until the dog gives you its leg easily.
- Stretch your hand, ask him to give you the leg, and wait, as soon as he raises his leg you will give him the treat.
- Practice the exercise in different places. If when changing location, the trick does not work, you should continue your training where you started with few distractions until the dog is ready.
- If your dog doesn't give you his paw, you should keep practicing. Repeat the exercise when your dog is calm, it is important to repeat it several times without tired or boring the dog.
Here’s a video about how to teach your dog to kick
Don't forget that training is a learning game between you and your dog.
And what do you think about the article?
Another way to get your pet to screw you up
If despite the insistence you failed to convince your pet to do the trick, try this other way:
- Always with the dog sitting in front of you, reach out to him holding a treat Between the thumb and the palm.
- After sniffing and sniffing, the animal will surely touch your hand with its paw. At that time, you should give him a treat but with the other hand.
- Repeat this procedure until your pet paws you automatically every time you approach your hand.
- A med> And, in the meantime, keep the prize you give him with the other hand.
Trained or not, a dog will always be to some extent himself.
-Carol Lea Benjamin-
The third time lucky
You can also try this other option:
- With the dog sitting in front of you, reach out to him with a clenched fist and hiding a treat in it.
- Encourage your pet to get the treat. Much of the dogs, in this situation, they try to open the hand of their masters with the leg.
- Open your hand and let him grab his prize.
- Congratulate him on his achievement.
- Repeat the action several times.
- Add the verbal order you prefer before you get your treat.
- Reiterate the routine but with an open hand.
Data to take into account
Also remember these tips:
- Always use the same order. Do not confuse or change the rules of the game in the middle of the game>
Teaching your pet different tricks is undoubtedly an enriching experience for both you and the animal and presents a series of advantages. Between them:
- Strengthen your role as leader before your pet.
- Stimulate the intelligence of your dog.
- Increase the bond with your furry friend.
- Work on the issue of obedience.
The importance of your dog learning by having fun
Remember that every dog is a world and that not everyone learns in the same way. So, don't despair if things don't work right away. The time you spend teaching your dog various orders and tricks must be, then, associated with pleasant moments and game.
The more fun the training, the easier and faster your pet will learn. Taking positive reinforcement as a base, when training your pet remember that it is something easy to verify that all behavior that is rewarded tends to be repeated.
And that those we ignore usually disappear.
So you will get your hairy to learn to give the leg and other tricks more quickly and with greater happiness.